Transitioning Care for Incoming Students

There are important steps that you as a student can take to facilitate college success. If you have an existing health condition, integrating your treatment into your educational goals will help you to better manage the many priorities that student life holds. If you are on medication, receiving care from a medical or psychiatric provider, or have a current IEP, equivalent services are available at Notre Dame. Coordinating your care should begin before you arrive on campus. The following guidelines can help with the transition of your care. For students who are returning after taking time away, please visit Returning to the University. You may also contact the Care and Wellness Consultants if you have questions.

General Things you Should Know

  • The name of your condition
  • The challenges or symptoms you experience (e.g., chronic fatigue, anxiety, difficulty focusing)
  • How these experiences affect your life
  • What tools or skills have you learned to assist with your symptoms? What has been helpful and what hasn't?
  • Know your treatment and what medications you are on presently or have been on in the past
  • Know your current course of treatment
  • Names and contact information of your treatment providers
  • Sign releases of information to the departments on campus that will be assisting with your care
  • A copy of your insurance card

Information Necessary if you are on Medication

  • Name of your medication(s)
  • Dosage of the medication
  • Times that you are to take your medication
  • Be able to describe any side effects or problems you may have had with your medication.
  • Have your medication on paper and why medications may have been changed
  • What pharmacy is covered by your insurance policy?
  • Will your refills be handled locally or by your home providers?

Integrating Treatment and Education

Many students at Notre Dame receive accommodations in both housing and academic environments. In order to be considered for reasonable accommodations, please register with Sara Bea Accessibility Services by submitting the appropriate documentation. Sometimes when students arrive at college and establish their independence they sometimes hesitate to involve previous services. It is better to be registered and be prepared should the accommodations be necessary. You can contact Sara Bea Accessibility Services by email at or phone at 574-631-7157. To fax your information, the fax number is 574-631-2133.